Lovely

Monday, July 5, 2010

Poeple stay out off it...We don't have to ask for permission

Why is it every time Brian and I turn around someone decides that its their place to tell us what we aren't allowed to do. We have decided that we want to have another baby (and since Brian is joining that US Army we don't see any problem with trying). But this past week-end at a family reunion we were told that someone in the extended family was pregnant. So when she was talking to my husband she told him not to tell me because than I would want to get pregnant because she was. Why anyone would say such a thing and than tell someone else husband to keep it from his wife, is beyond me. I would never be as presumptuous as to say that to someone let alone another persons husband. I hate that everyone thinks its okay to tell my husband and I what we should or shouldn't do. We had people tell us that we should have bought a bed because we didn't have that money (which we do). When we moved to Texas for the Spring and Summer of 2008 we gave the bed that I had had before we got married away (it was a Full for heavens sake). If we didn't buy it for our selves than who would. Brian's parents...I think not and we would not ask them to. Brian and I are married adults and we shouldn't have to ask for permission to buy a bed and/or have another baby. It's no one's business but ours. If we ask for advice that's one thing. But to be told regularly what we should and should not do. IS just getting to be a bit much and is causing stress in our marriage that does not need to be there. Oh another thing, I really hate when people tell my husband things than tell him to keep it from me. Do you really think its wise to tell another persons husband to keep something from his wife? I know for me at least when Brian keeps something from me I know because it's written all over his face and him for me. Is your extended family like this, and if they are how do you handle it?

2 comments:

J said...

people who try and tell you what you should and shouldn't do are dumb. It's your life, not theirs. You just have to try and ignore them. Right before I got pregnant my cousin told me not to get pregnant soon, in fact, everyone on my side of the family was telling me to wait a few years. But I had already decided to start trying, and when I told them the news they were excited for me anyways.

amber_mtmc said...

We have had similar experiences with my husband's family. We generally ignore their remarks but sometimes they say things that just hurt. It it hard.