Lovely

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Look Back part 7

Okay hopefully I can finally finish writing about Iain's birth and first few days with us. We'll see I depends on how sleepy I get. Well where was I... Oh yeah I remember.
  • I was taken to my postpartum room after delivery. Shortly after arriving to my room Iain decided that he wanted to eat, so he was brought to my room. Where I nursed him. Brian and I made the decision that Iain would sleep in the Nursery, one door down from my room, so that well we were at the hospital we would be able to get a little sleep. (Yeah right, sleep. Iain wanted to eat every hour and half and I mean EVERY hour and a half. He was and is a little piggy).
  • While in the hospital we signed up for Healthy Beginnings (a free lactation service for nursing moms at the hospital I delivered at). We started working with a lady named Becky, who is a lactation consulted while we were still at the hospital(nursing is hard, who ever said it was easy must have never done it) and are still working with her (though I'm no longer nursing because Iain decided that he had had enough. He was 6 and half weeks old). As a couple, Brian and I decided to pump (until I got to the point that I just wasn't enjoying feeding my son (by this point I had been pumping for 13weeks (Brian and I decided to continue for a few more months).
Okay so back to Iain's first few days.
  • Friday the 24th of April was a very slow day. Iain got his first dose of Hep B, was circumcised, had his blood drawn, and a hearing test all in one day. The hospital photographer wanted to take his new born pictures but I said that he had had a long day with everything he had been through that Saturday was a better day for pictures. I got up and walked down to the nursery and back for the first time (man can I tell you that I was wabbly and a little numb from the day/night before.
  • I got to talk to my mom and dad for a few minutes on the phone.
  • Brian went home to take a shower and get some clean clothes. He also picked up some things that I had forgotten to pack in my bag.
  • Brian's dad and younger brother came to visit again and to take pictures of Iain. We also talked to Leslie, Chris, Julie, and Brian's mom who were in VA when Iain was born. (Because Leslie had had her baby on the 12th of April).
  • The guys who were remolding the master bathroom sent me some very pretty flowers and balloons.
  • Iain slept in the Nursery again, so we could get some sleep.
That brings us to Saturday the 25th of April, the day we got to take Iain home.
  • That morning my doctor came into check me and proscribe me pain meds. She said that she wanted to keep me in the hospital till Monday but that there had been so many deliveries the night before and that morning, she had been over ruled and Iain and I were being released. (She wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any complications from all the fluids that were pumped into me during labor and delivery).
  • Brian and I went to the discharge class (Becky was teaching it). During the class we were told how much weight we were able to carry (10lbs), Becky turns to me and says "except for you, that's only the baby." the other women being discharged turn to me and all of them say "your the woman who had that chubby baby boy, he is so cute and he doesn't cry." Brian and I sign all the papers that we needed to sign and than went back to my room.
  • Shortly after getting back to my room, the photographer was waiting for us to take Iain's picture. We asked her if she could come back in about an hour so that we could get the baby dressed and I could take a shower.
  • I get cleaned up and we call the nursery to have Iain brought to our room. I feed him and Brian gets him dressed for his pictures. The photographer comes back to take his picture. They turned out so cute.
  • After the photographer leaves Brian starts to pack up all of our stuff and takes some of it to the car. When he gets back to my room with the car sit so we can put Iain into it. The nurse makes sure we are putting the baby into it and than she walks with us the round about in front of the hospital.
  • We all get into the car to go home.
  • The drive home was murder on my healing body (I HATE speed humps/bumbs whatever you want to call them).
  • When we got to the house, we took Iain up stairs and went into our room for a little bit.
  • Brian and I changed Iain's outfit and took a nap. (It sure was hard for me to get into our bed for the next few days.
  • After we woke up and changed his diaper and fed him we went out into the loft to get Iain some sunshine and to watch T.V. for a little bit. Darrell and Mark made us lunch and brought it up stairs to Brian and I. (Because I wasn't allowed to go up and down stairs more than once or twice during the day. And frankly, I wasn't going to be moving from the couch till I had to).
Ok so I'm kinda tired tonight I'll finish this at another date.

No comments: