Lovely

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Look Back part 5

Where did I leave off... Oh yeah March.
  • We didn't actually get to meet the doctor until April 16th, the day before I was due. For all of my appointments before that one I was seeing the midwife. We wish she was the one that delivered at the hospital but she isn't certified.
  • Well, that was pretty much it for March.
  • April was a pretty exciting month for our family and our extended family. Two sweet baby boys and one beautiful baby girl entered the world to bless our lives.
  • Leslie Bott Small had her baby boy on April 12th(his due date was April 10th) in Manassas, Virginia at 8:30am. Gabriel L. Small was 8lbs 12oz and was 21.5 inches long. Gabe is my in-laws first grandchild. Leslie and Chris are so blessed to have his sweet spirit in their lives. I can't wait to see him in November.
  • Well, during Sunday school I started to have contractions not bad ones and they weren't close together, yet. During Relief Society my contractions started coming closer together, we're talking about every 5 minutes. So, I called my doctor and I was admitted to North Suburban Hospital. Were I was monitored for 6 hours. My contraction stopped while we were at the hospital (I think Iain was just excited that Gabe was here already but he didn't want to share a birthday with him).
  • Well during the next week I kinda got scared. I was not feeling Iain move around. I would drink something sweet and wait 20 minutes and still nothing, so we went into the hospital again.
  • We finally met Dr. Rosa Cisneros and we talked about if the baby didn't come on his own that she would like to admit me on Thursday the 23rd, so that I could be induced Friday morning the 24th.
  • Well, I made an appointment to see the midwife on Monday the 20th. (Because I still wasn't feeling the baby move). The midwife did an ultrasound to measure how much amniotic fluid I had. ( Well, I had a fair amount, so I should have been feeling him move). Andrea (the midwife) wanted to admit me to the hospital that day but there was not any room. So, Andrea spoke to Rosa to see if we could move going to the hospital a day earlier (so instead of Thursday, go in Wednesday night). Dr. Cisneros said that it was not a problem.
  • We were admitted Wednesday night at 9:30pm. I was started on an antibiotic and a cervical softener. (Not fun, I was not allowed to get up and move a whole lot and I could not eat anything till after the baby was born). The nurses also gave me a sleeping medication (which was great. I was able get 9 hours of sleep).
  • By the next morning I was well rested and just ready to have my baby in my arms and to just be done being pregnant.
  • At 8:15am on April 23rd, I was stared on Pitocin. (I had 7 bags of saline, 8 bags of the antibiotic, and 7 bags Pitocin pumped into me during labor).
  • My doctor came in at 1pm to break my water, there was not any amniotic fluid. So, I was given an amino-infusion. (Which was not fun at all).
  • The nurses kept coming in to see if I wanted to get the epidural. (But I really wanted to wait to see what my pain tolerance was. I now know what it is so for my next pregnancy I'll be getting the epidural a lot earlier). AT 5:55pm, I got the epidural. It was nice to not feel pain any more.
  • Once I got the epidural I started progressing much faster and by 7:30pm I had dilated to 10cm and the baby had moved down into the birth canal.
Well, it's kinda getting late. I'll write more later.

No comments: