Lovely

Monday, May 9, 2011

Yesterday was Mother's Day...(a few days late)

Lately I've been thinking about what a mother should be. Growing up my birth mother wasn't always the best example of what a mother should be. She had days that she was the worlds best mother but for the most part she wasn't. I loved her but I feared her more. I didn't want my children to fear me. Than after I was placed with Anne and Russ (from here on out to be Momma/Mom and Dad). I got the best example of what a mom should be. And I hope that I'm more like her than the other. I had so many good examples of what a mother should be while at church. I was blessed to be exposed to these wonderful women while attending church.
So some of my thoughts on motherhood are: you don't have to have it all together all the time, sometimes your house is going to be messy but your kids will be happy so does it matter that the dishes in the sink have been there for a few days. The answer is no. I would rather have a happy baby. Rocking your baby is more important than dusting any day of the week. Even if you take a shower while your kids are napping and not when you wake up who really cares, your kids don't mind. Playing with them on the floor is more fun than just watching them play. Teaching them about the world around them gives you more insight and joy than you could ever imagine. There are always going to be days when you want to throw the towel in but when your kids give you the brightest smile and tell you that they love you we'll know that you would go through it all over again but so you could hear that sentence and see that smile again. Let your kids know that you love them not just with your words but your actions. You may be a mom but try and remember that you were a wife first and show your husband that you still(and always will love him), again not just with your words but your actions. Even if you don't like what you look like after having kids your husband still does and your kids don't care anyway. Show everyone around you that you take proud in your family (no matter how small or big it is) because being a mother is not a right but a privilege and a blessing. These are just a few things that I have learned over the last 3 years (mind you the first two were kinda a blur). I'm so blessed that I have the privilege of being Iain's mommy and learning from all the wonderful women in my life of what makes a great mom (being able to pull together for my self from taking from their collective wisdom is an honor. Thank you to all you wonderful and caring mothers out there. Hope your Mother's Day was as uplifting and joyful as mine was.

No comments: