Lovely

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Birthdays

Yesterday I turned 26, and it made me think about my many birthdays before this one, about how far I've come since my childhood, and how blessed I am. I didn't always have the best birthdays when I was a child. But looking back on them today I realize that they were the birthdays that I needed to have so that I could become the teenager that I would become. As a teenager, I was able to enjoy friends who were willing to throw birthday parties for me (with my help but I always thought that it was for someone else. Silly me). Those years showed me what kind of adult I wanted to become. Now that I've been an adult for a couple of years I'm glad that I have all these wonderful examples in my life. After I met the man that I was going to spend eternity with, birthdays took on a different feel, it was no longer all about me on my birthday I needed to think about my husband. I had responsibilities that I had to take care of everyday even on my birthday. Though Brian has always tried do everything, so that I was able to enjoy myself by being able to relax. I never wanted too. The year after we were married, we found out that I was pregnant and we were going to be parents. Birthdays were forever changed, they took on a new meaning. Because the year my son was born I knew I was going to be a mommy to a 7 month old and I was going to have to take care of his everyday needs. My birthday was not just about me this year and for all the years to came. I hope that as our son gets older that I can teach him what birthdays are really about. They aren't about what you get but the people that are around you to celebrate with you. I'm blessed to have my family, the family that I grew up with, and the family I married into; the gospel; a loving husband and a sweet son; and a loving Heavenly Father who sent me down to earth when He did and for all that he has given me and continues to give to my family and me. As we enter the Christmas season I hope to see past the gifts and all the worldly things, so that I can teach my son the true meaning of the season.

No comments: